Thursday, January 27, 2005

Cooking With Grandma

I grew up down the road from my grandparents, and one of the things that my Grandma and I did together was cook. Those old spun aluminum pots and pans that made everything taste so good. My first attempt was scrambled eggs and I think all my family had to eat my scrambled eggs 2 or 3 nights in a row because I was so proud that I could cook something. In those pans we made popcorn balls at Christmas and candy like fudge or divinity. We cooked chicken feet and a hogs head for head cheese. We made homemade noodles and roast pork, we had potato dumplings and we made some frogs legs. There are things that we made that were interesting and things that we made that were divine! But it wasn't the cooking that she taught me so much as the moments we shared in that small kitchen up the road from home. My Grandma and I have a bond that is very special. Over that kitchen stove, cooking in those pots and pans, we made more than homemade bread, we made memories. Years ago, I told my Grandma that one day I wanted to have those pots and pans for my own when she was finished using them. This last Christmas, when I was home, she gave me some of the bigger pots that she didn't really have a use for anymore. So I took those old cooking pots home, and I cleared out the cupboard of those newfangled pots, and I replaced them with these that I had gotten from Grandma. Everytime I take them out I think of her. Every time I use them, they bring a memory. And, Everything I make in them just tastes a little bit better!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could understand how doing a search for how to cook got me to Cooking With Grandma. Not that I mind, you understand Blogger. It's just that I don't think it's exactly what I was looking for :0)

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger
I never realised that so many different types of blog would show up if I did a search on something like kitchen utensils. I'm still not sure how well Cooking With Grandma fits into that category, but I've enjoyed visiting :0) Adios Amigo.

Unknown said...

How fun that you found me though! I will tell you that if you look in my store in the Rubylane URL above, that you will find some primitive cooking utensils and some cook books. If you would like a bread recipe, write me, and I will email you one.
thank you for looking!
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Well, I've enjoyed my visit to Cooking With Grandma, but I'm not sure it's what I was looking for. I was actually searching for articles on kitchen utensils - these search engines are weird! Just thought I'd say hello while I'm here :0)