Friday, January 21, 2005

It's Milking Time On the Farm - My Amazing Find

I still find this hard to believe! My amazing find!
When I was small, we milked cows on the farm. Well, I didn't - my Dad, Grandpa and big brother did though while I sat and watched from my perch in the corner of the barn on an old chair that had no seat - which is a story in itself - and for a later day. We milked a batch of cows, and then separated the cream from the milk in the old milk house which was attached to the barn. We would put the milk in the cream cans to haul out to sell. Now where we took them, I can't remember, I was too small, but I remember the cream cans. Sometimes we used the cream cans for an extra chair in the house when we ran out of seating space, or we used them outside for a seat when we had a picnic or a neighbor stopped by to visit and ended up staying for dinner or supper. That is how it was back then, we neighbored. But cream cans were always around and we always had a use for them whether they were stools or vessels that carried milk to market.
All the Cream cans came from certain farms and when they were shipped away, they needed to be returned so they had metal labels attached saying This Farm or That farm and ours said Morton Tiensvold and our home town. Believe me, there is only one Morton Tiensvold and he's my Dad. One day, my Mom was browsing an auction site and she emailed me, Brenda, you will NEVER guess what I found, look at this. It was one of our old cream cans, and it was in Kentucky! -- We lived in Nebraska back then, and it had Dad's name on it. Well, I couldn't believe it -- Boy the story it could of told about the traveling it had done. Well, I bid on it and snatched it up. Now it is in my home and it will eventually hold some silk flowers or maybe hold a potted plant, but right now-----we use it for an extra seat, when someone comes to visit -- like a neighbor!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great story on the milk can, kinda like the EBAY commercial about the kid losing his toy boat, and then finding years later on Ebay.