Monday, February 07, 2005

What did Your Parents use the butter paddle for?

Remember when, years ago, that items weren't always used for what they were meant to be used for? Like the cream can I wrote about earlier, it was used many times for an extra chair for company, or in my home I have a 35 gallon redwing crock that doesn't make sauerkraut or dill pickles anymore, it is used instead to hold afghans in my living room for those chilly Kansas nights.

Lon, my husband, always tells the story of the butter paddle. Now a butter paddle should always be used to make butter, right? Raised in the sandhills of Nebraska, 23 miles from town, Lon, his sister and brother and of course the neighbor kids - who lived just down the road- could raise a little Cain ever once in awhile. One particular day, they must have raised more Cain than normal for Lon's Mom to get her dander up. It might have been the day they wove electrical wiring through the hammock, hooked it up to the battery and shocked his cousins and sister, or maybe it was safety pinning his little brother ( who was in those cute little footsie pajamas ) to the bed when saturday morning cartoons were on. Or maybe it was trying to fly off the barn with 2 pieces of tin attached to their arms -- they were sure that they could fly. Whatever the reason was, their Mom had had ENOUGH. OUT came the butter paddle, and their shiny rear-ends got a spanking with the working end of butter paddle & I'm sure that butter paddle stung a bit, don't you think??
The next day, they snuck that old ANTIQUE butter paddle out of their Mother's kitchen and dug a hole , I mean they dug a DEEP hole, and buried that Butter Paddle! It wasn't until the next time they were due a licking that she missed it, and then she was really upset, I think it was her Grandmas, by that time the kids couldn't remember where they had buried it.(So they Said!)
Antiques have had many different uses. -- What was your butter paddle used for?

1 comment:

fitzgerald said...

Interesting idea for a blog. I have one sort like yours. Mine can be found at http://fitzgerald.journalspace.com/. And I notice that you are using Adsense which I have also been using. I also have a blog http://affilinfo.blogspot.com/ that is about Affiliate Marketing, please drop by and take a look.

As for talking about great finds, I could do that all day. I buy and sell military collectibles, mugs, tee shirts and other items that I buy at thrift shops around San Diego. One of my great finds is an aircraft repair manual that I bought for 35 cents and sold for $80.00 to a gentlemen in Italy that owned that model of air plane.

Just so you know, I found your blog on the Globe of blogs, so that is working for you. Good luck with your blog and your selling and collecting.

Best regards,
Fitzgerald