Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Hello and Welcome Lets Talk!

Collecting antiques and various collectibles almost becomes and obsession and a disease, but WHAT A FUN ONE! It is the hunt... the search for that item that makes your heart go THUMP, THUMP, THUMP and hoping that the person selling that item doesn't have a clue of what it is.
This is my parents fault! I blame Mom and Dad for this obsession of mine. You see, they are great collectors too, and since I was the youngest, the "Last of the Mohicans" as Mom would call me, I ended up loving Antiques and Collectibles too! They would come home and I would ask "WHAT IS THAT??!!!" and so it began. They would tell me what this treasure was, and there was sometimes a story to go with it, like -- " I used to use this when I was a kid" or "Grandma used to use that butter paddle to swat my behind when I got caught smoking in the outhouse"- oh yeah, Dad, I heard about that story. It was a great way to learn some family history that maybe you never heard before. I remember a WWII item brought out the story of my Great Aunt Malinda who worked in one of the factories in war times. What a wonderful way to learn family history, and have something in your hand, or in your collection, to remind you of that history. Now, I do the same to my children, bringing home that wonderful treasure, that memory from my childhood, and now I share these stories with my kids--or I try to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi: I checked out your online store. You have some great things for sale. I'm bookmarking it so I can refer customers.

We just started serious auction going about 6 months ago and it is quickly becoming an addiction!!